Saturday, June 20, 2009

Portage etc.

So a month ago we ventured out of Anchorage. Blogger has been giving me major problems, so I am just no able to get the pictures up. We went to see the nearby Portage Glacier. It's about an hour from where we live. You drive right between the coast and the mountains. It's probably one of the most scenic drives in the country. You probably don't remember but in Novemeber I posted a video of the same road and it was all covered in snow as were the mountains. It was very different this time! I took a couple pictures on the way there.




















We went to see the glacier as I said. This is the second one we've seen. We saw the Mindenhall in Juneau. This one you go on a short one hour boat ride to see it up close and personal. I keep looking at the pictures and find it hard to believe we actually saw it...it seems like something I'd see on a calendar! The lake it was on was just gorgeous...of course everything is at this time of year. One of my favorite things is seeing the shadows of the clouds on the mountains.












































































































After the glacier we went to a conservation park...which sounds nice but it was actually like a drive through zoo I think. It was kind of crazy because they had the remains of cabins that were destoyed in the '64 earthquake. So we saw more caribou, moose, musk ox, buffalo and bears. And I used my very first outhouse. Not a portapotty...an outhouse. Not much better though.



























































No comments: