Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Aunt Audra's two cents

Okay, here's *MY* two cents. Your list is good. And I'd say register for EVERYTHING you want, and here's why. I registered at Babies R' Us. I registered for things that I knew I wouldn't get, because I remembered that after my wedding, Macy's sent me a coupon good for 20% off any items left on my registry that I didn't get as a gift. Sure enough, Babies R' Us sent me a coupon, and Tony and I went down to BRU with our coupon and the half dozen gift cards we received, and were able to get alot of the stuff no one bought for us for 20% off. Here are my thoughts on your list:

Changing Pad
Changing Table - we have a dresser that matches our crib that has three little walls on the top of it and the changing pad goes on that...kills two birds with one stone and when we don't need the changing table anymore, we can remove the little walls
Baby bathtub
Stroller
Car seat -I'd suggest looking into a travel system (car seat + stroller + base) ...the car seat locks into the stroller, which you'll need when he's two small to ride in the stroller
Clothes (i.e. footies, onesies, sleep sacks, t-shirts, socks, bootees, hat, etc) - just buy some necessities and a few things you love...people WILL buy you clothes
Blankets - this was another gift that I got alot of...you also may have a grandma or other relative who will make you a quilt....I did
Toiletries
Digital Thermometer - go with anal, my dear...more accurate, and you'll get used to having to use it
Baby washing set (cloths, sponge, soft towels, etc)

Go ahead and register for the crib, mattress, etc. You may have some relatives who will go in together to buy you the bigger ticket items like a crib, travel system, etc.

Register for the traveling playpen, register for the swing. We registered for a swing but got a different one. Olivia doesn't know the difference and we've forgotten which one we had wanted...it works great and is good for 20 or 30 minutes of peace and quiet!

Register for a SECOND car seat base. It will save you having to constantly switch out the base when you want to take the second car.

I've been told by other moms to forget about wipes warmers and we did and we don't miss it.

Your mom gave us one of our favorite gifts and we're still grateful to this day....cloth diapers. Olivia has to use disposables when she goes to daycare, but when she's at home, it's cloth all the way. Soooo much more affordable, and really only one extra load of laundry a week. If you go that route, buy many diaper covers. I can guide you in that endeavor, since they can be hard to find in stores. Aside from the price and environmental impact, cloth diapered babies tend to have less diaper rash and potty train quicker. But the price is a big thing!

I can share my breastfeeding saga with you privately, just because I'm sure your other viewers don't wanna hear about it.

Other moms, what did I miss?

No comments: