Sunday, August 29, 2010

Summer time Part 1, Mom & Grandparents' visit

My Mom came up to visit in May. She stayed for a couple ofweeks before jetting off to my sister's wedding. Busy Grandma!
This was the last dinner before she had to fly home. Zach dressed super snappy to send his Grandma off in style.

Two peas in a pod!

We spent as much time outside as possible. We went to the park almost everyday.

Grandma spoiled us all rotten of course. She both financed and labored an extension to our patio in pavers! For Zach she bought a playhouse outside. It was actually quite a steal. She spotted it from the road at a second hand kid store and we snatched it up quick. These things are a hot commodity in Alaska! He immediately took to it, he loves it!
She bought him some pots as well so he could cook us up some mudpies! (see video below)


Zach and Grandma invented a new game called sheep in the pocket. He'd bring the sheep to her to put in his pocket. Sometimes kids are just that easy to please!
As you can see here Zach had mastered the on and off a big chair.

What's better than french toast? French toast with powdered sugar!

We also went to the Zoo. Here he is pointing out the bald eagle.

We also took a trip down to Seward, a fishing town two hours south of Anchorage. We went on a wildlife cruise where we saw seals, otters, puffins and other wildlife.
Zach fell asleep on the boat. Once he woke up he promptly threw up which in turn caused Chris to throw up. I obviously get my iron stomach from my mother as she and I were the only ones who kept the contents of our tummies in our tummies!

Grandma was a trooper and accompanied Zach and I to the doctor.


Here is a montage of moments with Grandma!




My Grandma and Grandpa came up to visit in late June. They lived here thirty years ago and were ready to see what three decades had done to the place. They scouted around for their old house (which wasn't there, though neighboring ones were). They remarked how much more developed everything was from the base to the city to the places they used to go camping.
This photo was taken the last night they were here. I'll always treasure that night because we were playing spinner and I'm sure I had a case of the giggles b/c I have never laughed so hard...for no apparent reason. Of course I'll also remember when Grandpa gave me coffee with bailey's in it. I was buzzed at 8am and regretted it the rest of the day!!! He almost took away my Irishness right then!

Grandma sang a special I love you song that Zach still thinks is hilarious to this day. I'll have to get video of it.




We went down to Hatcher's Pass, a place they used to go camping often. It was a perilous trip that included a wrong turn onto a road so terribly unpaved that it felt like a rollercoaster-even at the slow 3mph we were going! Zach said it all: "Whoa, whoa whoa!"
Zach learned about throwing rocks in the water here. He hasn't stopped since! We also learned that I cannot skip a stone.

Here is their old church which is now a bed and breakfast!


What hip Great Grandparents!

We went up to Flattop mountain which has a great overview of the city. Of course on the way we got the chance to check out a brand new Souther BBQ place. They probably weren't impressed but I almost cried from joy! =D


May and June flew by! There was only a couple days before the next visit (next blog post, up tomorrow hopefully). With everyone coming I didn't feel away from home at all this summer. It was truly a blessing!




No comments: